Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Publisher's Weekly asks Mary E. Pearson



"What was the original spark for your story?

There were a lot of different inspirations but the biggest one was that my youngest daughter, Jessica, was diagnosed with cancer in 2000. As any parent would be, I was terrified. She was 17 years old. Spending all that time in the world of medicine and hospitals, I realized how incredibly lucky we were. Fifty years earlier she would have died from it. (Jessica, now cured, had Hodgkin's lymphoma.) Now, there's an excellent cure rate. So that got me thinking, what will medicine be capable of doing 50 years from now? And as she was going through the treatment, we met a lot of children who were far sicker, or who were tiny little babies. At least my daughter could talk to me. I spent a lot of time thinking about what those parents were going through and the question gnawed at me, 'How far would a parent go to save a child?'"

So, how far do you think you would go to save your child? How far do you think your parents would go?